This is a beautiful example of an original 1940s day dress.
Made from Celanese Acetate it has typical styling of the era including broad shoulders with shoulder pads to give you that classic 1940s silhouette, seamed skirt, glass buttons and paste detail on the collar to add a touch of glamour. The fabric is semi sheer in natural daylight so the dress is best worn with a slip. It does fasten down the front with 3 glass covered buttons but the way it has been pinned to the mannequin is concealing one of the buttons.
This isn't meant to be close fitting on the bust and is meant to be blouson. It will fit up to a "52/54" bust and up to a 44" waist when belted. However, to ensure that this will fit you properly please compare the measurements below to a similar item you already own;
- flat bust 28"
- flat waist 23"
- flat hip 28"
- underarm sleeve length 3"
- shoulders between sleeves 19"
- neck to waist 17.5"
- neck to hem 47"
This piece is deadstock and has never been worn, it even has the original tag. However, there are a couple of small points to note;
- it has belt loops but no belt
- there is a faint white mark on the back of the dress about 4" down from the collar - this may come out with a dry clean
- there is the most minor amount of fade on the sleeves and the shoulders. This issue isn't showing up on the photos as it is so minor, but please note that it is there
- some of the inner seams are a little frayed, as happens with this type of fabric