Super cute 1940s playsuit set comprising of shorts, button through skirt and a tie front blouse.
Made from a cotton linen mix, the fabric is quite thick with beautiful drape and is cool to the touch. Soft pink background with a pretty print including strawberries and daffodils.
The blouse has cap sleeves, under bust gathers and fastens at the front with long ties. Someone has added a hook and eye for added modesty, but that is easily removed if you don't want it. The shorts are high waisted and fasten on the left side with a metal covered button and two poppers. The skirt fastens down the front with white carved buttons and it has pockets!!
The blouse and shorts have a size 18 label, which should mean the set is for a 36" bust, but my mannequin has a 33" bust and the top could only just be tied so I recommend this set will best fit a 32"/33" bust. However, to ensure it will fit you well, please compare the measurements below to a similar piece you already own.
Flat length of bodice at just under the bust 14" so will fit a 28" rib cage
Shoulders between sleeves 14"
Flat waist 12.5" - the button could be moved to gain an extra inch on the waist
Flat hip 20.5"
Inner leg 4"
Outer leg 16"
Flat waist 13" - the button could be moved to gain an extra inch on the waist
Flat hip 19.5"
The piece is in very good condition, but there are a few points to note. There appears to have been a dye fault in some areas of the print as some of the black has transferred slightly in places, but all noted in the descriptions below;
Blouse - Beautiful condition, only point to note is a small area of dye transfer on the back left sleeve.
Shorts - Issues to note;
- there is a small repair and a rust mark on the waistband near the button
- the button has rust marks
- evidence on the inner placket that the buttons have been moved
- dye transfer on inner legs
- dye transfer on front left leg
Shirt - issues to note;
- I believe the buttons are replacements. There are faint rust marks on the skirt beside the buttons and the buttonholes. It would appear that someone washed the skirt with the covered, metal, buttons still on and they rusted and some of the markings transferred onto the skirt
- evidence that the buttons have been moved to give an extra inch on the skirt
-a dark mark on the front left skirt hem
- 1" area of seam stress on the very bottom of one of the side seams
The issues are small, but I like to note all faults so the buyer knows what they are getting. The set has been washed and pressed so is ready to wear. None of the marks lifted, so they are all there to stay but they are mostly lost within the busy print.