This is a lovely set of matching French knickers.
These were purchased from a private estate in Norfolk and were from a post war wedding. The bride purchased the black rayon ones, which have the shred of a CC41 label remaining, and made the flesh coloured satin to match. She embroidered a horse shoe of roses on each leg for good luck.
The black have a fixed waist and a side button closure and are trimmed with black cotton lace and the satin have an elasticated waist and are trimmed with white lace. The satin are not made to the same high standard as the black ones.
With the flesh coloured satin, because of the elasticated waist they will work on a 28"-34" waist, have a flat hip of 22" and an outer leg length of 16"
The black have a fixed waist which is a tight 28", flat hip 21" and outer leg 17"
The flesh tone ones have been worn and loved much more than the black. They are in good/wearable condition with some points to note;
- there are two small repairs on the top of the waistband
- a few small breaks in the stitching on the waistband
- three darns in the gusset
- main issue is when you hold them up to the light there are about 40 pinhead holes, one is a large cluster which can be seen from the outside - see photo - and is on the left back hip
- there are three darns in the front and two in the gusset
- there are a number of pinhead holes, many are visible from the outside
- main issue is purple staining, all of which is seen in the photos. The knickers have been soaked and the stains didn't move and so are there to stay
The set has been priced to reflect the issues.
They have been washed, pressed and are ready to wear.