This is a lovely set of matching French knickers.
We had the pleasure of purchasing these pieces from the niece and nephew of the original owner. Their aunt got married in the late 1920's and purchased this set for her honeymoon.
Labelled "Naomi Underwear" they are made from Celanese - one pair inky black and the other a pale flesh colour. They are a matching pair in style and design with elasticated waists and a deep slash on the outer edges and each is trimmed with 4 bands of machine worked lace - white for the flesh tone and mocha coloured for the black.
Because they have an elasticated waist they will work on up to a 28" waist. The flesh coloured ones, which they have the same waist size as the black, were clearly worn more often and the Celanese has given out slightly so the hips on these are bigger.
Waist 28" - Hips 36" - Outer leg seam 13.5"
Waist 28" - hips 44" - Outer leg seam 13.5"
The flesh tone ones have been worn and loved much more than the black. They are in good/wearable condition with some points to note;
- when held up to the light there are 3 pinhead holes
- there is a 1cm darn on the back seam near the bottom and another on the left back hip
- there is a repair in the back centre seam
- repair on the front of the waistband - very visible
- 2 darns in the back - see photo
- biggest issue is these have some purple ink marks, which appear to be ink. The marks will NOT come out. I have treated the set with Retroclean and Vanish and the marks lifted slightly but are still there are there to stay.
The set has been priced to reflect the issues with the flesh coloured pair.
They have been washed and pressed and are ready to wear.